So I've almost completed the head part of this costume. And since I'll be attending the Vancouver Halloween Parade, I have to make sure not to put any gore and blood on it as its a "family" oriented event. But don't worry, The gore will be added after this.
Since last week, I've added mesh & cast iron pipes & foam.
I started trying to screw in the mesh with fasteners and washers ... but it was actually way stronger and faster to just hot glue it.
The foam was glued in using my favorite glue: PL 8x I haven't yet found something this glue can't do! It's low odor and does not melt foam (most glues do this because of the acetone).
With these major upgrades the head already looks badass!
Drinking always gets those creative juices flow!
Adding some of these Cast iron union joints (these are my favorite parts, they just feel really good in the hands).
And since the structure is build with 1/2" plywood, attaching anything is simple.
Adding the foam strategically to fit your body is key!
Now that you have the whole thing built up. Adding some paint just makes the whole thing POP!
After a little bit of searching. I found that the best color and style for this is the Hammered Brown. It gives it a cast iron sheen and gives it a galvanized texture. Perfect for this project!
The mandatory painters tape!
And after a few complaints from the smell coming from the wife ... and voila. Let it dry overnight and you have yourself a metallic looking helmet!
Now to make the rear wiglet looking things. Note, that I could have left these out as they are pure aesthetic ... but no. I go all the way!
And since I only want it to look like the bolts actually bolt right into my spine ... I'll end up cutting these.
Ya, I love sparks! I know.
Using the PL glue again, you can add to this piece.
And that's what it's supposed to look like once installed. And, to give it some extra emphasis ... I'll actually keep these metallic silver (galvanized).
And don't forget to paint the interior foam black ... makes it look professional.
Up next: Don't forget the most important part:
I figured that there was no other way to make this perfectly other than 3d printing ... So I got this commissioned: MakeFamilyFun's Hub kindly made this part for me after I designed on it Solidworks. For about $35, I was able to get this part printing withing a few hours.
Up next, install the red gear, buy material for the bottom of the costume (the pants), and make the ginormous sword ... standby!