This next step probably took about 2-3 weeks and was painful and arduous. The process is simple, using solidworks I printed cross sections of the shape, I was making, I even had the surface extended so that I could more easily work with the mold. One the cross sections were cut from foam, I used super 77 glue to glue the pieces together. It's the only flute I could find that does not melt foam. After that it's layer after layer of bondo then sanding, then bondo, then sanding, it really never ended...
For the front piece, I opted to start with a plug, then I made a mold from the plug. I did this so I wouldn't have to sand a ridiculously concave structure.
Once my plug was fully sanded to a baby smooth 1000 grit wetsanding, I used floor wax (3 layers) to prevent the fiberglass resin from sticking to my plug. Worked like a charm. I even liked the texture it left on my mold so I didn't even have any sanding left to do once the bondo was done.
Labels: #aperture laboratories, #aperture science, #bondo, #halloween, #mold making, #portal, #replica35 36 37 38